This is my experience as a new wife to an Army Soldier. I had so many questions and hope that I can help answer a few as I go along this fun journey.



Sunday, March 7, 2010

Army OCS Formal - What to Wear


Ok, so if you are anything like me you stressed and fretted about what you are going to wear as a wife to the Army OCS formal. I have not done anything remotely formal since my wedding so this was a stretch for me. I really searched for a dress and am very pleased with it. It was actually a bridesmaids dress I found at a bridal shop. It was not bridesmaidsy at all. I did have to get it altered since I bought it right off the rack. I saw lots of various dresses the night of the event. The majority were long. The event was held at the National Infantry Museum just outside of Ft. Benning.

My recommendations:
Review receiving line protocol prior to arrival
Do something special like get your make-up and hair done - Unkommen in Columbus is an amazing salon for hair and makeup (Dora is a makeup master!)
Don't fret over your shoes if you are wearing a long dress
Do not get the professional pictures - they turned out cheesy and the ones we did ourselves were much better and it takes a ton of time
Focus on accessories
Be social and take time to talk to the Cadre

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this advice. My boyfriend is currently in the last few weeks of field training in OCS. He just branched Infantry with branch detail Signal Corps. He recently gave me the invitation for the formal and I've been worrying about what I should wear since it said for civilians to wear semi-formal attire. I wasn't sure what that meant, lol. Again, thank you so much! I've really enjoyed reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! I was stressed out about the dress that I purchased. My husband said that it was a dinner and not a ball but he was going to be in a the tux...I hope they have a manual or something for the spouses lol I didn't want to show up in a gown and everyone else in like a cocktail dress...Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I came across your blog. Thanks for sharing. I TOO will be visiting Ft. Benning in Columbus GA in Feb. 2011 for OCS formal. And like Claudia I didn't want to be the one who didn't get the memo so to speak. The gown I have my eye on is long and so I hope it will be perfect! Thanks again!
    -Araceli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy I came across your blog! I know I'm a little late here but it's still great to know that there's help and advice out there!

    ReplyDelete